Make ice-cream that fits millennials who want to embrace a wellness lifestyle
Someone once defined Millennials as the “purpose generation”. Millennials differ from their parents because they have so many brand options and they choose them wisely. They want to be responsible consumers, for themselves and for the planet. They are likely to buy brands that have a purpose of making a positive difference in society through their products and operations.
Take a brand like Dove. Beauty should not be dictated by fashion magazines or society; a woman is beautiful as she is. Or think about Ben & Jerry’s, the ice-cream brand that offers natural ice-cream, responsibly sourced from local farmers. These two brands are “love brands”. People engage with them easily because they have a higher meaning and offer consumers something over and above great products.
Millennials look for purpose in brands and it can take many forms. It can reflect their values or concerns, from knowing what’s in your food, where it comes from, how it’s made or who’s made it, moving away from artificial products, animal products or looking for natural or organic products, or brands that are ethically produced. It can also be an individual quest for wellness to find brands that provide an experience that fits people’s lifestyles. Brands that help me feel good, that give me energy, feel healthier, that use new ingredients for holistic wellbeing.
Ice-cream is a delicious treat, snack and dessert and everybody agrees that a world without ice-cream would be boring and sad. Our client, Unilever, has many ice-cream brands such as Wall’s, Magnum, Carte d’Or, Fruttare, Popsicle, Max, Cornetto, Breyers, Ben&Jerry’, Swedish Glace etc. Ice-cream is indulgent and always should be. They don’t want to take anything away from that experience but they do want to embrace the many changes they see in the world and in what people choose to eat and reflect that in their ice cream. They don’t want to just take out what makes ice cream delicious but find alternative ways to make ice-cream fit for millennials that embrace a wellness lifestyle. To give people ice-cream that fits with their values and aspirations.
Invent an ice-cream brand that fits millennials who want to embrace a wellness lifestyle.
For Millennials, wellness is a daily, active pursuit. They exercise, eat smarter, care about what they are buying and want to know what’s in the food they eat. On top of individual motivations, the wellness of the world also matters and they value brands and products that do good for the society and the planet.
Having this trend in mind, how do you think Unilever could evolve one of its ice-cream brands, or create a new brand, to become the Millennials’ ‘must-have’ ice-cream brand?
We’re asking you to invent a new brand, or a new wellness focus for one of the existing brands (Wall’s, Magnum, Carte d’Or, Fruttare, Popsicle, Max, Cornetto, Breyers, B&Js, Swedish Glace).
The brand you create should cover 4 areas :
- WHY: The philosophy. What does the brand bring to people on top of delicious ice-cream? How will it reflect the lifestyle wellness values they care about. Write the brand manifesto.
- WHAT: The range of products. What’s at the core of the recipes for the type of ice-creams they make? How is the ice-cream a living proof of the brand philosophy? Tell us and show us your products.
- HOW: The communication. How does your brand bring the philosophy to life, and engage the consumer? Create print-ads (drafts are fine) and think about events, (digital) channels and other activities the brand could activate.
- WHERE: The point of sale. Where do you think your brand should be sold? How does the brand engage with its fans?
We’re looking for the next big hit, so be ambitious! Think about the trends around wellness now and in the future. Keep in mind that Millennial consumers are looking for brands to stand for something bigger than just product benefits. They want brands to embody an inspiring message, to bring a strong point of view, and take actions to make a positive impact in the world.
Start by your own (or family and friends) unmet needs about brands and companies. Think about what causes or things you care about, in your personal life and beyond. Then create the ice-cream brand that answers your needs!
It’s the opportunity for you to create your ideal ice-cream brand, the one that fits your vision of the world! But remember the time is short (contest will be live only 10 days). So don’t miss the occasion. Make sure your idea does not exist already. Do some research to ensure it doesn’t.
Your entry must include visuals and answers to the 4 points listed above: Philosophy/ Products/ Communication/ Point of Sale.
Les exemples suivants sont uniquement destinés à illustrer nos attentes. Ne les utilisez pas, auquel cas votre création sera rejetée.
Look at the these brands as inspiration: Coyo, Booja Booja, Swedish Glace, Diletto, Skinny Cow, Coconut Collaborative, Whey Hey. But don’t just replicate what’s already out there.
A great example is a brand of ice-cream that was launched by two English entrepreneurs. They produce wholesome ice-cream everyday so it’s very fresh and has great taste. They source their products from local farmers but not only this. They organize events in the farms where people from the city can get training on how to milk a cow, how to package milk, what is a day of a farmer like and so on. City people love these events because they get to do things instead of just watching and they learn a lot.
A bad example is lactose or sugar-free Magnum ice-cream. We’re looking for much more inspirational ideas!
Prix du Jury
- #1 Prix 5 000 €
- #2 Prix 2 500 €
- #3 Prix 1 000 €
- #4 Prix 1 000 €
- #5 Prix 500 €
4-pages presentation with images and text
Critères de Sélection
Instead of getting very finalized product ideas, we’d love to get great brand philosophies. The winners will be those that pick a great brand story and develop it into the whole brand experience. The quality of the execution does not matter so much. We want inspirational brand propositions.
Contraintes pour ce concours
- Don’t forget to put emotions in your ideas.
- You can use an existing ice-cream Unilever brand or create a new brand.
- Execution does not matter.
- Make sure your idea does not exist.
- The target is Millennials, globally.
- Entries should be in English.
- We are not looking for just recipes.
- Les entrées sélectionnées seront utilisées sur Internet. Les autorisations et licences d'utilisation d'éléments protégés (musique, images, etc.) doivent être compatibles avec une diffusion sur l'Internet. Vous devez être capable de fournir une preuve écrite de ces autorisations et licences à n'importe quel moment.
Contraintes habituelles d'eYeka
- N'affichez aucune information personnelle dans votre création (nom, numéro de téléphone, adresse e-mail, etc.)
- Gardez sur votre ordinateur une version non-compressée de votre création, qui sera utilisée si vous êtes sélectionné parmi les gagnants.
- Afin de pouvoir concourir, votre média doit être votre propre création.
- Vous devez obtenir l'autorisation écrite de chacun des auteurs et acteurs ayant participé au média.
- Précisez dans la description de votre média si vous êtes l'auteur ou non de la musique et/ou des images utilisées. Si vous avez utilisé des éléments (musique, photos, dessins, etc.) dont vous n'êtes pas le propriétaire, transmettez-nous les informations concernant la licence vous concédant les droits d'utilisation.
- eYeka vous demandera de fournir des preuves écrites ou une copie de tous les documents écrits étayant de telles autorisations et permettant à eYeka et à ses clients d'utiliser le média conformément aux Conditions Générales du concours.
- Tout média ne se conformant pas avec ce règlement, sera exclu du concours.