What is the future of digital scent?
The future is already here. If I told you that a major global consumer products company has achieved a breakthrough and has been able to blend fragrance and the digital world you might not believe me, but it is indeed very true.
They are now able to deliver scent through any digital mechanism with a small amount of current (today it is set through a USB device for example)
We could have asked you what is the next step in fragrance and you could have answered digital. But it is now a reality, and we need you to go even further and find new purposes and applications for this technology.
Through short videos/animations, pictures, designs, collages, PowerPoint presentations, text, sketches...imagine and illustrate what the next wave in digital scent will be!
Try to address a maximum of these questions by picturing it now and over 5 years to be as complete and realistic as possible:
What new uses, or new functions could “digital scent” serve other than odor elimination or odor masking? What new purposes could scent serve? What new scents would you need to serve these purposes? What other applications of digital scent could emerge beyond a USB-activated scent device? What product forms might this take? Where else could you take advantage of digital fragrance? What new benefits could digital scent deliver? What kinds of people might use digital scent products who may not currently buy home fragrance products, and how (male for example)? What else can digital technology deliver or enable when coupled with fragrance?– think outside the box ;)
To help you, here are today's existing facts:
This device can emit small amounts of any scent for the use/enjoyment of an individual without imposing the scent on others/an entire room or office.
Special scents can serve special purposes, such as a scent that helps you focus or stay energized throughout the day. Current users of home air care products are 80% female/20% male. We want to bust beyond these current users.
The most innovative and realistic concepts showing new applications and users for the next 5 years and leveraging the next wave of digital technology will be rewarded!
- Think beyond the current role of home fragrance as odor elimination or odor masking.
- Try to reach light/non users of home air care products.
- Fragrance is a mood enhancer and mood moderator but we are interested in new/other functional applications (or “jobs”) scent can perform.
- Keep a high definition / uncompressed version of your creation Videos/animations should be 60 seconds maximum
- Only use images and music that are free of rights or your own creation.
PRIZES: a total of $15,000!
1st Prize: $4,000 USD
2nd Prize: $2,500 USD
3rd Prize: $1,500 USD
4th Prize: $1,000 USD
10 Prizes of $500 USD each!
5 Prizes of 200 $USD each
Starts: June 10, 2011 at 13.00 GMT +1
Ends: June 30, 2011 at 23.59 GMT +1
Notes on the Terms & Conditions
- Contestants undertake to submit creative and original works.
- Contestants warrant that they hold all rights upon submitted works and warrant that the use of the works in the contest does not violate any third parties' rights.
- Contestants acknowledge that in case of breach of these rules, the organizer shall be entitled to deem their participation and the prize granting void.
Prix du Jury
- #1 Prix $4000 (3 100 €)
- #2 Prix $2500 (2 000 €)
- #3 Prix $1500 (1 200 €)
- #4 Prix $1000 (800 €)
- #5 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #6 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #7 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #8 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #9 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #10 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #11 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #12 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #13 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #14 Prix $500 (400 €)
- #15 Prix $200 (150 €)
- #16 Prix $200 (150 €)
- #17 Prix $200 (150 €)
- #18 Prix $200 (150 €)
- #19 Prix $200 (150 €)